Our research goals are to support young children’s oral language and writing through play and to build teaching capacity in northern rural communities. Our focus is on children, educators, families and community caregivers in northern rural and Indigenous communities from Alberta in the west through to Ontario in central Canada. An extensive network of partners and collaborators will work together to address the need for theoretical, empirical and practical work in the area of young children’s oral language and writing development.
The overarching objectives of the proposed partnership are to:
- Improve literacy and school achievement of Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal children in northern rural communities
- Contribute to contextualized theory development in oral language and writing
- Strengthen and sustain research and teaching capacity in northern Canadian communities, and
- Create and evaluate the effectiveness of a professional development model tailored to the needs of educators in northern communities.
For further information, please see the following links:
- Willow Allen has published another white paper! Read her Aboriginal English varieties & standard language assessment practices and other articles from our Publication Series